Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Doing Gender According to Hafiz

As I was getting my daily dose of Hafiz, I was surprised to find that he conceptualized gender as many modern scholars do (West & Zimmerman; J. Butler). We haven't advanced as much as we thought we had, we just weren't listening to the right voices.

How Does It Feel to Be a Heart?
Once a young woman asked me,

"How does it feel to be a man?"
And I replied,

"My dear,
I am not so sure."

Then she said,
"Well, aren't you a man?"

And I replied,

"I view gender
As a beautiful animal
That people often take for a walk on a leash
And might enter in some odd contest
To try to win strange prizes.

My dear,
A better question for Hafiz
Would have been,

'How does it feel to be a heart?'

For all I know is Love,
And I find my heart Infinite
And Everywhere!"

No comments:

Post a Comment