Sunday, July 31, 2011

Ramadan Kareem


Someone once told me that Arabs know how to celebrate like experts because it helps them escape the cruel reality of injustice and pain. I thought that statement was a bit dramatic, but there may be an element of truth to it. Two nights before Ramadan fireworks were being launched throughout the city. The sounds screamed and popped in the night air and it was very entertaining (especially because I was trying to complete an important document). I puppy-guarded the kitchen window for about 2 hours trying to catch a nice fireworks picture. Unfortunately, my efforts were in vain and this is the best that I could get. Once the fireworks subsided for a minute, gunshots rang freely throughout the area - near and far. Everyone was ringing in Ramadan with a bang. Some thought it was very irritating to listen to celebratory gunshots and fireworks for hours, but I couldn't help but smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment