Thursday, May 26, 2011

Happy Eid al-Istaqlal, Jordan!!!

Yet another country that celebrates independence from the British... Although I wasn't able to purchase a flag this year due to a ridiculous schedule, I did have the opportunity to spend the holiday at an NGO function in Marka. Let me set the scene for you...

We arrived 15 minutes late, which turned out to be far earlier than any festivities began and waited for the rest of the attendees to enter the tent. The large tent was flapping perfusively in the wind made a flapping noise throughout the celebration that made it virtually impossible to concentrate on the speakers. Besides the dhaja from the flapping tarps above, all of the attendees were so interested in their neighbors, children and current conversations that no one listened to any of the speeches. Instead, the conversation died down a little in order to chant "His Majesty King Abdullah II lives! He lives, he lives, he lives!!!"





I went with two interns to Abu Khaled's for a lunch and then after, we went to a government funded party. It was pretty interesting and I had a blast. It reminded me of a convention that I went to a few years ago. I loved it!

2 comments:

  1. I know! She is just darling!!! She sat next to me during the celebration. I was very lucky to be in such good company. :)

    ReplyDelete